What are my PR visa options if my occupation is not on the MLTSSL?

Difference between the MLTSSL and STSOL

A lot of people get confused when they review the Department of Home Affairs Combined Skilled Occupation List.

The combined list of occupations includes occupations on both the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) and the Medium to Long Term Skilled Occupation List (MLTSOL).

The major difference between the MLTSSL and STSOL is that if your occupation is on the STSOL you will generally need to find a sponsor (either employer, region or state), in order to apply for the a visa. It is also very difficult to obtain a permanent visa if your occupation is on the STSOL. Your only option for a permanent visa would be some type of sponsored visa such as the State Sponsored (Subclass 190), Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) or Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 187).

However if your occupation is on the MLTSOL, then you may be eligible to apply for permanent visas such as the skilled independent – Subclass 189 and may not require a sponsor. Additionally you may be able to apply for the permanent employer sponsor visa – Subclass 186.


General Skilled Migration Visas

Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) – Permanent

State Nominated (Subclass 190) – Permanent

Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) – Temporary

Employer Sponsored Visas

Employer Nominated Scheme (Subclass 186) – Permanent

Temporary Skilled Shortage (Subclass 482) – Temporary