Transitioning onto your Permanent Partner Visa

This article discussing the process of transitioning onto the Permanent Partner Visa. When you initially apply for the Partner visa to Australia you apply for both the temporary and permanent visa at the same time. This video explains the process to from the temporary visa to the permanent visa.

Immigration will usually grant the temporary partner visa first (currently taking around 4 – 18 months to come through). This temporary partner visa will allow you to live and work in Australia and be with your partner. In most circumstances, you are not granted the permanent partner visa straight away. After 2 years of lodging your initial application, you will receive a request from immigration to transition onto the permanent visa.

Please note, the information provided is general in nature.

The application for the permanent visa is not as difficult as the initial partner visa application. You already demonstrated that you met the de facto or spousal requirement when you lodged your initial application. Immigration just wants to ensure that you remain in a genuine de facto or spousal relationship with your partner before immigration approve the permanent stage. You do have to provide some new documentation evidencing the relationship, however, it is usually not close to as much as you provided with your initial application.

In order to do move onto the permanent stage you must log into your immi account and choose to lodge Stage 2 – Permanent Partner Visa Application.

What documentation do I need to provide?

We recommend providing evidence of an ongoing relationship since lodging the initial application. Eg – evidence that you still live together (lease agreement, utility bills etc), recent joint bank transactions, recent photos, and travel tickets  Similar to a lot of the initial documentation, however, make sure the documentation is recent.

You will 100% need to provide two recent 888 forms from friends or family members who can attest to the genuineness of the relationship. And your Australian partner will need to complete a new stat dec. You can follow the links below to obtain these forms:

  • 888 – Friends/Family Stat Dec Form
  • Sponsor Stat Dec – Sponsor’s Stat Dec Form

Does the second step cost anything?

No, there is no immigration charge for this step.

How long will it take until I receive my PR?

The processing time for applicants to transition onto the permanent stage can vary a lot. We have had numerous applicants approved in a few days and others take several months.

What if I have broken up with my partner?

If you have broken up with your partner, technically you should inform immigration immediately. Unfortunately, unless under very certain situations such as domestic violence or death, you will not be able to progress to the permanent visa.

I hope you have found this information useful. Immigration essentially want to ensure that you are still in a genuine and loving relationship with your partner before they grant the permanent visa. It is a very simple process, much easier compared to the initial partner visa application.

As always, any questions please never hesitate to contact the team at Pathway to Aus on the phone, website Facebook, or Instagram Thanks!