The Difference Between General English and Vocational English

There are two different types of English programs that you can study in Australia. The first and most common is ELICOS (which include: General English, IELTS…) the second is vocational English. This article explains the difference between the two English programs.


Common ELIOCS courses include: General English, IELTS, Cambridge

  • To study ELICOS courses you obtain a Student Visa Subclass 570
  • Class is Monday – Friday for at least 4 hours per day (20 hours)
  • Students Must attend at least 80% of classes
  • More Expensive (ranging in price from about $170 – $350 per week)
  • There is no set period of study (Students can study for 4 weeks or 40 weeks)
  • Courses available in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Byron Bay

 Vocational English

Common Vocational English Courses include Cert II, III or IV in Spoken and Written English)

  • To study Vocational English courses you obtain a Student Visa Subclass 572
  • Class is often only 2 days per week, students are encouraged to self study
  • No mandatory attendance required (instead students must maintain course progress)
  • A lot cheaper (ranging in price from about $90 – $130 per week). The reason it is cheaper is there is less class time with a teacher
  • These courses generally go for a period of around 20 – 25 weeks
  • Courses available in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast

If you are interested in enrolling to study English in Australia, feel free to contact Pathway to Aus to find you the most suitable course option:

  • Apply or Enquire online
  • E:
  • P: 07 55 265 900
  • Skype: pathwaytoaus
  • Or comment below