How to Extend Your Working Holiday Visa

Depending on which country you are from, you may be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 or 462) to live and work in Australia. The Working Holiday Visa (“WHV”) permits you to live and work in Australia for 12 months, with the possibility of extending your stay up to two more times, giving you a total of three years in Australia under the Working Holiday Visa stream.

If you’re over 18 years of age and under 31 years of age (or under 36 for citizens of Canada, France, Ireland), are interested in living and working in Australia and you meet certain eligibility criteria, you should be familiar with all of the requirements and conditions of this subclass, so that you can plan your work in Australia to maximize your time here. If you don’t qualify for the working holiday visa extension, this article details more options that may be available to you.


The Working Holiday Visa allows holders of the subclass 417 and 462 visa to:

  • Remain in Australia for 12 months
  • Work for the same employer for a maximum of 6 months
  • Enter Australia within 12 months of the grant of the visa
  • Leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like during the validity of the visa
  • Study in Australia for up to 4 months


If you do not yet have your First Working Holiday Visa, you can find more information about this here

What’s the difference between Subclass 417 and Subclass 462?


Depending on the country you are from, you will need to apply for the specific subclass.


Subclass 417 is for passport holders of: Subclass 462 if for passport holders of:

Republic of Cyprus






Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)

Republic of Ireland



Republic of Korea





Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland



China, People’s Republic of

Czech Republic











San Marino


Slovak Republic






United States of America




This article is for those who currently hold or previously held the First or Second Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 or 462) and want to extend their stay in Australia.



Second Working Holiday Visa


Eligibility Requirements:


If you are currently on your First Year Working Holiday Visa and want to apply for your Second Year, you must:


  • Be over 18 years of age and under 31 years of age (or under 36 years of age if from Canada, Ireland, or France) at the time of application; and
  • Currently hold or have previously held the First Year Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 or 462); and
  • Complete 3 months (the equivalent of 88 calendar days) of “Specified Work” in a Regional Area before your First Year Working Holiday Visa expires.



Additional Eligibility Requirements:

  • You can apply from inside or outside Australia. But if you apply from inside Australia, you must be inside Australia when your visa is granted.
  • You cannot be accompanied by any dependent children.
  • You have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa
  • You have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  • You need to meet other eligibility criteria, such as: education requirements, English language requirements, health and character requirements, and financial requirements.


How much work do I need to undertake?

Depending on whether you hold/held the subclass 417 or the 462 WHV, you will need to have completed 3 months (or 88 calendar days) of Specified Work in a regional area.

You must provide evidence that you have completed at least 3 months/88 days of Specified Work. The hours and days of work are what is considered a normal working day within the specific industry. Similarly, if you are on a piece agreement, the days you worked would be based on industry standards.



What is Specified Work?

To complete Specified Work, commonly called Farm Work, you must be paid the correct legal wage while working in a specified industry and your primary role must fall under certain activities

The industry, type of work and the location of the work will depend on whether you are on a subclass 417 or 462 WHV.