Can a family member sponsor my visa to Australia?

491 Family Sponsored Visa

This visa is probably the most common visa for family sponsored visas. The visa is an open 5 year work visa that converts to permanent residency.

The problem with this visa is that:

  • There is a very low number of these visas issued each year. Consequently, these are very difficult to obtain.
  • Plus your relative must live in a regional area. If your family member lives in a major city, then they cannot sponsor your visa.
  • You must pass a skill assessment in an occupation on the MLTSSL

Eligible Sponsor

If you have a parent, sibling, aunt/uncle or another family member living in Australia, they may be able to sponsor your visa to live and work in Australia.

18 years old or older

usually resident in a designated area of Australia

be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen

be your or your partner’s eligible relative

491 Visa Requirements

A Positive Skill Assessment for an occupation on the MLTSSL

Aged between 18 – 45 years old

Minimum of 6 in IELTS or holder of approved passports

Eligible relative living in a designated regional area

Meet health and character requirements

Minimum of 65 points in the skilled migration points test