Adding my partner to my student visa

Can I add my partner to my student visa?

We are often asked by students if it is possible to add their boyfriend or girlfriend as a secondary applicant to their student visa. The short answer is yes, it MAY be eligible depending on your circumstances. It is possible to be added as a secondary applicant both before and after the main applicant has applied for a student visa. Please note whether or not you can add your partner as a secondary applicant is dependent on your specific circumstances.

The main reasons to be added as a secondary applicant to your partners student

  • If you don’t want to pay the course tuition fees to study a separate course
  • If you have started a relationship with a new partner and don’t want to return home.
  • If you have finished your course and your partner still has time to go on their course

Case Study

We previously had a French client who wanted to apply to be added as a secondary applicant to her partners student visa. Here is a little background of her case:

A French girl had met an Argentinian man in Australia and they began a relationship. The French girl was on a working holiday visa, however it was expiring very soon. The Argentinian man had a student visa and his course would not finish for another 18 months. The French girl did not want to study a course in Australia and had no other visa options that would allow her to work in Australia.

Neither the French girl or Argentinian man had listed the other as a De Facto Partner on their previous visa applications

With a little work, we were successfully able to add the French girl as a secondary applicant to her Argentinian partners student visa. We did not need to cancel the Argentinian’s original student visa. The French girl made a separate application to be added as a secondary applicant of her Argentinian partner, provided the correct supporting documents and had her visa was granted roughly three weeks after application.

The French girl was granted a secondary applicant student visa, with limited work rights (40 hours per fortnight). Her visa would expire the same day as her partners student visa.