5 Tips to Apply for a Visitor Visa to Australia

Recently applying for a visitor visa has become a lot easier for many countries. However, a lot of applicants are receiving visa refusals for visitor visas. This article details some of the most common requirements for the visitor visa.

If you can, apply for the ETA Visa (Subclass 601) or E-Visitor (Subclass 651) Visa.

There are 3 main visitor visas to Australia. The ETA (Subclass 601), the E-Visitor (Subclass 651) or the Visitor (Subclass 600) Visa.

The ETA or E-Visitor visa is by far the easier visas to apply for. Often you will not need to provide any supporting documents. Below is an overview of these visas:

  1. You would need to apply for these visas from outside Australia
  2. It is a very simple online application
  3. These visas would generally be valid for 1 year and allow you to remain in Australia for up to 90 days per visit.
  4. It is free or very cheap to apply
  5. You usually do not need to provide any supporting documents with your application
  6. Visas are usually processed immediately or within 24 hours

Only countries from certain passports can apply for the ETA or E-Visitor Visa. You can check out the if your passport is eligible to apply here ETA  or E-Visitor.

The Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) visa is a much more difficult visa application process. However, applicants from any country can apply for this visa. An overview of the Subclass 600 visa is below:

  1. You can apply from inside or outside of Australia
  2. You can apply to stay in Aus for more than 3 months (You can apply to remain in Aus for up to 1 year each visit)
  3. The visa is more expensive to apply
  4. The application form is much longer and more detailed.
  5. Supporting documentation will usually be required with the application
  6. Visas can take up to 14 days to process


Show you have sufficient funds to support yourself in Australia

If you are required to provide documents, you should always demonstrate that you have enough money to live and travel in Australia. You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself for the specific period you intend to stay in Aus. For example, if you only intend to stay in Aus for 1 week, you should not need to show too much money. However, if you intend to remain in Aus for 8 weeks you will need to show a lot more in your bank account. A general rule of thumb is at least $4000 for every month you intend to remain in Australia.

Providing evidence of finances is particularly important for someone who has previously spent time in Aus. Immigration will want to ensure you have money and will not need to work in Australia to support yourself.

If you are not supporting yourself in Australia, you can provide evidence of someone else supporting you in Aus. You would need to provide:

  1. A copy of their ID
  2. Their bank statement
  3. A written statement outlining that they will support you throughout your stay in Aus

Please note you, if you are staying at a friends or relatives house in Australia, you can also have them write a statement that they will provide you with food and accommodation throughout your stay.


Provide an Itinerary for what you plan to do in Aus

You may be required to explain to immigration what you plan to do in Australia? Perhaps you are staying at friends or relatives house for your entire visa. Or perhaps you are travelling to many different cities around Australia. Both are completely fine.

Show you have done your research. Explain the activities that you plan to do during the days that you have in Aus.


Discuss your situation your home country

The visitor visa is a temporary visa. Even if you intend to apply for another visa from onshore, Immigration will need to see that you have strong ties to your home country. In order to do this, it is recommended that you discuss your personal circumstances in your home country.

For example, are you currently employed or studying in your home country? Does your family still live in your home country? Do you own a house, a car, business or other possessions in your home country? Do you need to return to support family members?

You can even mention events in the future which require you to return to your home country. Perhaps a family member is getting married or you are starting a new job?


Explain your immigration history

This is very important, particularly if you have previously spent considerable time in Australia prior to making the application. (Eg – You have lived in Aus on a working holiday visa for the previous year).

Explain the previous visas you have obtained to Australia. This will demonstrate that you have abided by previous visa conditions. If you have ever overstayed your visa or not abided by previous visa conditions, explain the reasons why you overstayed and how you have changed since the incident.

Generally speaking, the more temporary visas you have applied for in Australia, the greater the chance of refusal. If you have already remained in Australia for 3, 4 or 5+ years, you will need to demonstrate to immigration that you are not just studying this course as a way to remain in Australia.

Provide Supporting Documents

Immigration may not accept your application without sufficient supporting documentation. They will want to see documents to support what you have written in your statement and on your application.

  • Letters of reference from employers back home
  • Evidence you can support yourself financially in Australia
  • Evidence of enrollment to study in your home country (if you are studying there)
  • A travel itinerary with any tickets booked
  • Evidence of property ownership in your home country
  • Evidence of business ownership in your home country
  • Return tickets out of Australia
  • Letter of support from anyone you will be visiting or staying within Aus